By Michael E. Stone
Read or Download Ancient Judaism: New Visions and Views PDF
Similar judaism books
8 stories by means of Nobellaureate Isaac Bashevis Singer--one for every evening of the Hanukkah celebration--tell of an international within which miracles aboundl, love triumphs, and religion prevails. Full-color photos all through.
The second one version of the vintage Jewish perspectives of the Afterlife positive aspects new fabric at the functional implications of Jewish afterlife ideals, together with funeral, burial, shiva, and extra. With an up to date examine how perspectives on existence after demise have replaced in recent times, Simcha Paull Raphael publications the reader via 4,000 years of Jewish idea at the afterlife through investigating pertinent sacred texts produced in each one period.
Miriam Peskowitz bargains a dramatic revision to our figuring out of early rabbinic Judaism. utilizing quite a lot of sources--archaeology, criminal texts, grave items, expertise, artwork, and writings in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, and Latin--she demanding situations conventional assumptions relating to Judaism's ancient improvement.
This is often the 1st book to compile comparative examine at the overseas enlargement of 3rd Reich cinema. This quantity investigates a variety of makes an attempt to infiltrate - economically, politically and culturally - the movie industries of 20 international locations and areas both occupied via, pleasant with or impartial in the direction of Nazi Germany.
- Josephus: Jewish antiquities, Books XII-XIV, Volume VII
- Genesis: Translation and Commentary
- The Rebbe: The Life and Afterlife of Menachem Mendel Schneerson
- Shattered Spaces: Encountering Jewish Ruins in Postwar Germany and Poland
- Making History: Josephus And Historical Method
- Jewish Russians: Upheavals in a Moscow Synagogue
Extra info for Ancient Judaism: New Visions and Views
Reeves has dealt with many aspects of this complex transmission. " Further works are referred to in those articles. 30 CHAPTER 2 Adam and Enoch and the State of the World Introductory Remarks: The Problem The library of Qumran contains, in roughly equal proportions, manuscripts of books of the Bible, manuscripts containing sectarian terminology, and manuscripts not containing sectarian terminology. This latter category in cludes copies of some Jewish nonbiblical works that were already known to us through a different channel of transmission, the Christian churches.
84. " 85. , cf. the tradi tions traced by John C. , Trajectories in Near Eastern Apocalyptic. 86. Reeves has dealt with many aspects of this complex transmission. " Further works are referred to in those articles. 30 CHAPTER 2 Adam and Enoch and the State of the World Introductory Remarks: The Problem The library of Qumran contains, in roughly equal proportions, manuscripts of books of the Bible, manuscripts containing sectarian terminology, and manuscripts not containing sectarian terminology.
For an exhaustive study of this sort, cooperation is needed between those involved in working on the older Jewish texts and medievalists. Many of these traditions had wide circula tion, not only in the East but through the various European languages and cultures as well. Much may well be learned by careful examination of the rich body of Irish apocryphal literature or of popular tradition in Old French, and not just from those that circulated in the Islamicate realm. 82 83 84 85 Just as it is necessary to investigate the way that the Christian churches transmitted these documents and traditions, so too, questions must be asked about their Jewish transmission.